Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

3.30.2008

The FFB and the Status Quo

I've learned that I don't usually get along that well with FFBs (Frum From Birth).
When I was at Yeshiva University for Purim, I began to realize, as I have in other Modern Orthodox circles, that many people who grow up in that lifestyle take Judaism for granted. They consider themselves the same as any other doctor or lawyer, they just happen to wear a kippah and pray three times a day. For me, and for other Ba'alei Teshuva, I don't want to live the same life as I did before, just this time I keep Shabbas, I want to have my entire life encompassed by Judaism. But then again, I don't reject the culture that I grew up in. In fact, I think there's a lot I can learn from it.
It just seems to me that theres a status quo when it comes to Modern Orthodoxy that many young Jews feel that they have to live by. Like gender roles, for instance. I understand that there are certain defined gender roles in Orthodox Judaism, and I recognize them- I think they are true, but I think it should be taken at a very minimal level. Yes, the woman is the master of the home, she is caring and nurturing, while the man supports the family and community, teaches, and works. But does that mean that a woman can't be a community leader? Or that a man can't take time off work to raise his kids? I feel like there's this assumption that boys have to be boyish - immature, loud, and only friends with other boys, while girls have to be girly - constantly talking about who's engaged, worrying about their appearance, rebuking boys for being immature, etc. A couple times that weekend, I heard these ridiculous generalizations coming from young men (engaged nonetheless) like, "Girls aren't funny" or "I don't like hanging out with girls" and the like. But, as terribly sexist as that sounds, I think it's almost justified because the girls really aren't fun to hang out with because having a personality is shunned in that society.
Ok I'm also making generalizations and I'm judging, which I shouldn't, but when I became more religious, I didn't feel like I had to accept the status quo. In fact, I still want to change it, and I think that a lot of Ba'alei Teshuva have that mentality. We have the advantage that we have seen this world from both the outside and the inside (although some try to ignore that), and we need to use that advantage to make this world better. It's not enough to be a ben-Torah or an Eishit Chayil, you can't just follow the mitzvot and say that that's enough, you have to do Tikkun Olam in a tangible sense, whether it's by helping to make peace in the world or by bringing the coming of moshiach sooner (which SHOULD BE the same thing). It's sad that many FFBs (and many Ba'alei Teshuva who wish that they were born frum)

1 comment:

el scorcho said...

you DO or DONT want to live the life you lived before? what terrible things could you have done in your insignificant 16 years prior finding GOD

Followers